Thursday, November 6, 2008

National monuments D.C.



The day after the Halloween wedding we go downtown to see the National Monuments in Washington D.C.! I was really excited for this part of the visit. I have never been to D.C. and its a beautiful day to go to. The weather was 78 degrees and sunny. The leaves on all the tress have turned into beautiful fall colors and I'm looking around just wanting to take a picture of everything.
Ben drives us down to a parking lot, we park and walk to the Metro. This is cool because I have never ridden on anything even similar to a subway. Danielle and I had to figure out how to use the pay machines. All the prices for the different stops are different and it took us a couple minutes to figure it out and not over pay. But figure it out we did.



We get to the stop we want and get off. The first thing I see is the Washington Monument. Its huge! It was really terrific to see it up close and in person. We walk towards it and I am taking pictures like crazy. I decide it would be cool to call my husband and tell him where I am at. When I pull out my phone I realize its dead:( So no phone call home.


We keep walking and the next one I see is the WW II monument. We take a group picture in front on the pool in the middle of it. There is so many people here its crazy. We keep going and we see the Korean War Memorial and then as I am taking pictures of the statues my camera goes dead too. Good thing there are other people in our party that are taking pictures. Maybe they will share with me.
Next was the Lincoln Monument Im walking up all those steps thinking of everything that has happened on those steps. Even Forest Gump happened there. LOL the bad thing was they smelled like stale beer:( . After we went to the Vietnam Wall. As we are walking up to the wall one of the guys is telling me how being in front of it is pretty powerful and you will see grown men crying and touching the wall. I'm thinking to my self a granite wall wont do that to me. I start looking at all the names and the people in front of the wall talking and crying and touching, then I see this little old mad struggling to reach up as high as he can so he can reach the name of someone he loved. He cant quite reach high enough. Two other men go over to him to help him reach this elusive name and I start tearing up. I'm affected.
Its getting dark and we walked forever to get back to the Metro. We are all starving and have had a great day soaking up history and sites and nature. I would love to go back with my family and share it all with my kids someday.








No comments: